Mouth - nasal mask, everyday mask, makeshift mask
Mouth and nose covers include all masks that have not been tested in accordance with the legal and normative requirements for medical face masks or particle filtering half masks and are therefore lawfully on the market as such. They are often sewn from commercially available fabrics and worn in everyday life. Corresponding mouth and nose covers may not be named as medical products or items of personal protective equipment and may not be advertised with corresponding services or protective effects because they have not provided the legally required evidence or have gone through the legally required verification procedure.
Independent of normatively defined proof of performance, as required for medical face masks and particle filtering half masks, the effectiveness of mouth and nose covers in terms of general civil protection has now been confirmed in numerous scientific publications on the basis of broad, international experience. The protective effect of the masks depends on the tightness and quality of the material used, the adaptation to the shape of the face and the number of layers. In this context, tightly woven fabrics are better suited than lightly woven fabrics, for example. According to the current state of knowledge, the right wearing of good "everyday masks" can significantly reduce the risk of pathogen-containing droplets.
The KELA mouth and nose mask MNS-ComBASE consists of a 3-layer hydrophobic (water-repellent) non-woven fabric with a material thickness of 20-25g / sqm per layer, which meets the above-mentioned requirements of the BfArM.
You can currently get our mouth and nose masks in our webshop in 3 colors.
Click here for the Shop
People who want to wear an appropriate mask should therefore strictly observe the following rules:
- The masks should only be used for private use.
- The current hygiene regulations, in particular the current recommendations of the Robert Koch Institute (RKI, www.rki.de) and the Federal Center for Health Education (BZgA, www.infektionsschutz.de) must continue to be observed.
- Even with a mask, the RKI recommended safety distance of at least 1.50 m from other people should be maintained.
- The mask must be properly placed over the mouth, nose and cheeks and be as close as possible to the edges to minimize air penetration at the sides.
- When using the mask for the first time, it should be tested that the mask lets in enough air to prevent normal breathing as little as possible.
- A moistened mask should be removed immediately and replaced if necessary.
- After removing the mask, hands should be washed thoroughly, observing general hygiene rules (at least 20-30 seconds with soap).
- The mask is a disposable mask and should be disposed of after use. If it has only been worn for a very short time, it should be hermetically sealed in a bag or something similar after it has been removed. They should only be stored for as short a time as possible, in particular to avoid the formation of mold.
- If available, all manufacturer instructions should be observed.